Monday, September 13, 2010

LWJGL / SBT plugin example app

I decided to try out my new plugin for my new work environment, and my nephew has been frequently inquiring to make him a video game, but I particularly enjoy my free afternoons. I thought a good way to test the plugin and appease the little guy, was to simply write a small game!

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a game programmer. Far from it. It requires a different way of thinking , and to frank with everyone: I'm not very good at it! I would, however, be lying if I said I wasn't itching to make another game. It has been over a year since I used LWJGL and Slick to make Scetris, so I thought a quick Tic-Tac-Toe game was in order. (Don't shoot me for my baby steps!)

Suffice to say, all three were accomplished relatively quickly.

  1. The sbt-lwjgl-plugin works great! The speed I was able to have this project up and running was hardly comparable to that of my previous eclipse work environment.
  2. This was a great exercise getting back in the swing of things, as they say. Slick makes making a simple game like this rather breezy.
  3. I think my nephew will enjoy the little game.

Here's a screenshot. If the game looks like I spent a couple of hours on it, then mission accomplished.

Screenshot

-- Philip

No comments:

Post a Comment